Ecomotive Limited understands that your privacy is important to you and that you care about how your personal data is used and shared online. We respect and value the privacy of everyone who visits this website, www.localselfbuildregister.co.uk (“Our Site”) and will only collect and use personal data in ways that are described here, and in a manner that is consistent with Our obligations and your rights under the law.
1. Definitions and Interpretation
1.1 In this Policy, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
“Cookie” means a small text file placed on your computer or device by Our Site when you visit certain parts of Our Site and/or when you use certain features of Our Site. Details of the Cookies used by Our Site are set out in section 13, below;
“Cookie Law” means the relevant parts of the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003, as amended from time to time;
“Local Self Build Register” means the register compiled by Us from information provided by visitors to Our Site, and which records interest in and demand for self build and custom build;
“Local Self Build Register Newsletter” means the Newsletter containing general information about self build and custom build opportunities, policies, funding and other related news that you have expressed an interest in hearing about by signing up to receive the Newsletter;
“personal data” means any and all data that relates to an identifiable person who can be directly or indirectly identified from that data. In this case, it means personal data that you give to Us via Our Site. This definition shall, where applicable, incorporate the definitions provided in the EU Regulation 2016/679 – the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”); and
“We/Us/Our” means Ecomotive Limited, a society registered in England under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014 under number 32087R, whose registered address is at Unit 2 Wild Goose Space, 228 Mina Road, St Werburghs, Bristol BS2 9YP.
2. Information About Us
2.1 Our Site is owned and operated by Us and you can find out more about us by visiting the Ecomotive website www.ecomotive.org.
2.2 Our Data Protection Officer is Anna Hope, and can be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by telephone on 0117 924 1263, or by post at Unit 2 Wild Goose Space, 228 Mina Road, St Werburghs, Bristol BS2 9YP.
2.3 We are a social enterprise working to create more sustainable communities through supporting and enabling self-build and self-finish projects that have environmental, social and economic sustainability at their core.
3. What Does This Policy Cover?
4. Your Rights
4.1 As a data subject, you have the following rights under the GDPR, which this Policy and Our use of personal data have been designed to uphold:
- The right to be informed about Our collection and use of personal data;
- The right of access to the personal data We hold about you (see section 12);
- The right to rectification if any personal data We hold about you is inaccurate or incomplete (please contact Us using the details in section 14);
- The right to be forgotten – i.e. the right to ask Us to delete any personal data We hold about you (We only hold your personal data for a limited time, as explained in section 6 but if you would like Us to delete it sooner, please contact Us using the details in section 14);
- The right to restrict (i.e. prevent) the processing of your personal data;
- The right to data portability (obtaining a copy of your personal data to re-use with another service or organisation);
- The right to object to Us using your personal data for particular purposes; and
- Rights with respect to automated decision making and profiling.
4.1.2 If you have any cause for complaint about Our use of your personal data, please contact Us using the details provided in section 14 and We will do Our best to solve the problem for you. If We are unable to help, you also have the right to lodge a complaint with the UK’s supervisory authority, the Information Commissioner’s Office.
4.1.3 For further information about your rights, please contact the Information Commissioner’s Office or your local Citizens Advice Bureau.
5. What Data Do We Collect?
- date of birth;
- contact information such as email addresses and telephone numbers;
- demographic information such as post code, number of adults and children in your household, preferences and interests relating to self build and custom build;
- information relating to your local connection to local authorities where you are interested in building, such as where you live and work and whether you have family members living there;
- financial information such as household income;
- local authority areas you are interested in for self build or custom build projects;
- the names of any self build groups you are affiliated to;
- IP address;
- web browser type and version;
- operating system;
- a list of URLs starting with a referring site, your activity on Our Site, and the site you exit to.
6. How Do We Use Your Data?
6.1 All personal data is processed and stored securely, for no longer than is necessary in light of the reason(s) for which it was first collected. We will comply with Our obligations and safeguard your rights under the GDPR at all times. For more details on security see section 7, below.
6.2 Our use of your personal data will always have a lawful basis, either because it is necessary for Our delivery of a service to you, because you have consented to Our use of your personal data (e.g. by signing up to the Local Self Build Register, or subscribing to emails), or because it is in Our legitimate interests. Specifically, We may use your data for the following purposes:
6.2.1 Providing your information to the local authorities you have specified that you are interested in and are using our service so that they can maintain their own self build and custom register and understand requirements for self build homes in their area;
6.2.2 Providing anonymised data as indicated to local councils or other parties so that they can use it to understand requirements for self build homes in their area;
6.2.3 Preparing statistical reports using anonymised data, with the aim to create more opportunities for self build projects;
6.2.4 Using anonymised data for market research;
6.2.5 Contacting you to clarify details that you have given to us or to ask further relevant questions;
6.2.6 Replying to emails from you;
6.2.7 Analysing your use of Our Site to enable Us to continually improve Our Site and your user experience.
6.2.8 Optional (if you sign up to receive newsletter): Supplying you with emails that you have opted into (you may unsubscribe or opt-out at any time by using the “unsubscribe” option in our emails, or by writing to us to inform Us that you wish to unsubscribe), to include:
- specific information on self build or custom build opportunities in the local areas you have expressed an interest in
- according to the criteria you stated;
- supplying information about Our services to you.
6.3 With your permission and/or where permitted by law, We may also use your data for marketing purposes which may include contacting you by email with information, news and offers on Our services. We will not, however, send you any unsolicited marketing or spam and will take all reasonable steps to ensure that We fully protect your rights and comply with Our obligations under the GDPR and the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.
6.4 You have the right to withdraw your consent to Us using your personal data at any time, and to request that We delete it.
6.5 We do not keep your personal data for any longer than is necessary in light of the reason(s) for which it was first collected. Data will therefore be retained for periods determined on the following bases:
6.5.1 when you sign up to the Local Self Build Register, We will retain your personal data for a time period that relates to applicable legislation that relates to self build and custom build obligations for local authorities. Currently this is three years and one month after the end of the Base Period during which you registered with Us (Base Periods end on 30th October of each year, as stipulated in the Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015);
6.5.2 where you have opted in to receive the Newsletter and to be contacted with information about Our services and self build and custom build opportunities that match your interests, We will retain your personal data for as long as We are operating those services;
6.5.3 in order to determine whether We are still able to retain your personal data under clauses 6.5.1 and 6.5.2 above, we will review your personal data every 2 years as recommended by ICO guidelines.
7. How and Where Do We Store Your Data?
7.1 We only keep your personal data for as long as We need to in order to use it as described above in section 6, and/or for as long as We have your permission to keep it.
7.2 Your data will be stored within the European Economic Area (“the EEA”) (The EEA consists of all EU member states, plus Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein), with the exception of our mailing list management system and our cloud-based data backup system, which are hosted in the USA and are both fully compliant with the GDPR.
7.3 Data security is very important to Us, and to protect your data We have taken suitable measures to safeguard and secure data collected through Our Site.
7.4 Steps We take to secure and protect your data include:
- All emails containing personal data are marked “confidential”;
- Personal data is transmitted over secure networks only using password-protected access; transmission over unsecured networks is not used in any circumstances;
- All electronic copies of personal data are stored securely using passwords for access;
- When any personal data is to be erased or otherwise disposed of for any reason (including where copies have been made and are no longer needed), it is securely deleted and disposed of.
8. Do We Share Your Data?
8.1 Subject to section 8.5, We will not share any of your data with any third parties for any purposes.
8.3 We may sometimes contract with third parties to supply products and services to you on Our behalf. These may include payment processing, delivery of goods, search engine facilities, advertising, and marketing. In some cases, the third parties may require access to some or all of your data. Where any of your data is required for such a purpose, We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your data will be handled safely, securely, and in accordance with your rights, Our obligations, and the obligations of the third party under the law.
8.4 We may compile statistics about the use of Our Site including data on traffic, usage patterns, user numbers, sales, and other information. All such data will be anonymised and will not include any personally identifying data, or any anonymised data that can be combined with other data and used to identify you. We may from time to time share such data with third parties such as prospective investors, affiliates, partners, and advertisers. Data will only be shared and used within the bounds of the law.
8.5 In certain circumstances, We may be legally required to share certain data held by Us, which may include your personal data, for example, where We are involved in legal proceedings, where We are complying with legal requirements, a court order, or a governmental authority.
9. What Happens If Our Business Changes Hands?
9.2 In the event that any of your data is to be transferred in such a manner, you will be contacted in advance and informed of the changes. When contacted you will be given the choice to have your data deleted or withheld from the new owner or controller.
10. How Can You Control Your Data?
10.1 When you submit personal data via Our Site, you may be given options to restrict Our use of your data. In particular, We aim to give you strong controls on Our use of your data for direct marketing purposes (including the ability to opt-out of receiving emails from Us which you may do by unsubscribing using the links provided in Our emails and at the point of providing your details).
10.2 You may also wish to sign up to one or more of the preference services operating in the UK: The Telephone Preference Service (“the TPS”), the Corporate Telephone Preference Service (“the CTPS”), and the Mailing Preference Service (“the MPS”). These may help to prevent you receiving unsolicited marketing. Please note, however, that these services will not prevent you from receiving marketing communications that you have consented to receiving.
11. Your Right to Withhold Information
11.1 You may access Our Site without providing any data at all. However, to use all features and functions available on Our Site you will be required to submit or allow for the collection of certain data.
12. How Can You Access Your Data?
12.1 You have the right to ask for a copy of any of your personal data held by Us (where such data is held). Under the GDPR, no fee is payable and We will provide any and all information in response to your request free of charge. Please contact Us for more details at email@example.com, or using the contact details below in section 14.
13.2 All Cookies used by and on Our Site are used in accordance with current Cookie Law.
13.3 Before Cookies are placed on your computer or device, you will be shown a prompt or pop-up box requesting your consent to set those Cookies. By giving your consent to the placing of Cookies you are enabling Us to provide the best possible experience and service to you. You may, if you wish, deny consent to the placing of Cookies; however certain features of Our Site may not function fully or as intended.
13.4 Our Site uses website analytics services. Website analytics refers to a set of tools used to collect and analyse anonymous usage information, enabling Us to better understand how Our Site is used. This, in turn, enables Us to improve Our Site and the services offered through it. You do not have to allow Us to use these Cookies, however whilst Our use of them does not pose any risk to your privacy or your safe use of Our Site, it does enable Us to continually improve Our Site, making it a better and more useful experience for you.
13.5 The analytics service(s) used by Our Site use(s) Cookies to gather the required information.
13.6 In addition to the controls that We provide, you can choose to enable or disable Cookies in your internet browser. Most internet browsers also enable you to choose whether you wish to disable all cookies or only third party Cookies. By default, most internet browsers accept Cookies but this can be changed. For further details, please consult the Help menu in your internet browser or the documentation that came with your device.
13.7 You can choose to delete Cookies on your computer or device at any time, however you may lose any information that enables you to access Our Site more quickly and efficiently.
- Identify a unique survey response when you are taking a survey;
- Enable the “save and continue” feature within the survey;
- Track information on session behaviour;
- Distinguish between US and international visitors to the surveys.
13.9 It is recommended that you keep your internet browser and operating system up-to-date and that you consult the help and guidance provided by the developer of your internet browser and manufacturer of your computer or device if you are unsure about adjusting your privacy settings.
13.10 The links below provide instructions on how to control Cookies in all mainstream browsers:
- Google Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=en-GB
- Microsoft Internet Explorer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/278835
- Microsoft Edge: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/products/microsoft-edge (Please note that there are no specific instructions at this time, but Microsoft support will be able to assist)
- Safari (macOS): https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21411?viewlocale=en_GB&locale=en_GB
- Safari (iOS): https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201265
- Mozilla Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-and-disable-Cookies-website-preferences
- Android: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en (Please refer to your device’s documentation for manufacturers’ own browsers)
14. Contacting Us